Filet Mignon Crostini with Balsamic Onion Jam – Weber
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet yellow onions, each about 12 ounces, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (not aged)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1 baguette, cut into 25 slices, each about 1/2 inch thick
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 freshly ground black pepper
- 3 filet mignon steaks, eacha bout 8 ounces, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh chives
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the butter and olive oil. Add the onions and salt. Cook until they become tender and have reduced in volume by half, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Stir in the vinegar, sugar and currants. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the onions become jam like and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 35 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. The jam will thicken as it cools.
Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium high heat from 350 to 350 degrees F.
Lightly brush the steaks on both sides with the oil and season with the salt and pepper. Allow the streaks to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before grilling.
Brush the cooking grates clean. Lightly brush one side of the baguette slices iwth oil and grill them over direct medium heat until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes (grill one side only). Allow to cool, and then rub the grilled sides lightly with the garlic.
In a small bowl combine the cream ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Grill the steaks over direct medium heat, with the lid clsoed as much as possible, until cooked to your desired doneness. It should take about 11 to 13 minutes for medium rare, turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Cut the steaks into 1/4 inch slices.
Spread a layer of jam on each piece of toasted baguette. Place a slice of meat on the jam and top with a small dollop of hte horseradish cream. Sprinkle with chopped fresh chives if desired