Ginger Porterhouse Steaks with Roasted Sesame Salt – Weber
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons peeled, grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons frehsly ground black peppers
- 2 porterhouse steaks, each about 1-1/4 pounds and 1 inch thick, trimmed of excess fat
In a small bowl mix the oil, ginger, salt and pepper. Spread the mixture on both sides of each steak. Allow the steaks to stand at room temperatures 15 to 30 minutes before grilling.
Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat, 450 to 550 degreee F.
Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the salt ingredients. Cook until deep golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes and stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to prevent burning. Pour the roasted salt evenly among found small dipping bowls.
Grill the steaks over direct high heat with the lid closed, until cooked to your desired doneness, about 6 to 8 minutes for medium rare. Turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm with the salt. Guest are meant to dip an edge of each slice of steak into the salt.